Titles: The Demon Queen of Fungi. Lady of Rot and Decay.
Aspect: Decay and Fungus.
Signature Spell: TBD
Trappings: Fungus and Decay
Dark Pact: TBD
Zuggtmoy is an alien creature whose only desire is to infect the living with spores, transforming them into her mindless servants and, eventually. into decomposing hosts for the mushrooms, molds, and other fungi that she spawns.
Utterly inhuman, Zuggrmoy can mold her fungoid form into an approximation of a humanoid shape, including the skeletal-thin figure depicted in grimoires and ancient art, draped and veiled in mycelium and lichen. Indeed. much of her appearance and manner, and that of her servants’, is a soulless mockery of mortal life and its many facets.
Zuggtmoy’s cultists often follow her unwittingly. Most are fungi-infected to some degree, whether through inhaling her mind-controlling spores or being transformed to the point where flesh and fungus become one. Such cultists are fungal extensions of the Demon Queen’s will. Their devotion might begin with the seemingly harmless promises offered by exotic spores and mushrooms, but quickly consumes them, body and soul. Sharing a layer of the Abyss with Juiblex, plus their mutual insatiable hunger, has made the two demon
lords mortal enemies, each devoted to destroying and ultimately devouring the other.
Zuggtmoy ’s Lair
Zuggtmoy’s principal lair is her palace on ShedakJah. It consists of two dozen mushrooms of pale yellow and rancid brown. These massive fungi are some of the largest in existence. They arc surrounded by a field of acidic puffballs and poisonous vapors. The mushrooms themselves are all interconnected by bridges of shelffungi, and countless chambers have been hollowed out from within their rubbery, fibrous stalks.
On initiative count Ace of Spades, Zuggtmoy can take a lair action to cause one of the following effects; she can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row.
- Zuggtmoy causes four gas spores or violet fungi to appear in unoccupied spaces that she chooses within the lair. They vanish after 1 hour.
- Up to four plant creatures that are friendly to Zuggtmoy and that Zuggtmoy can see can use their reactions to move up to their speed and make one weapon attack.
- Zuggtmoy uses either her Infestation Spores or her Mind Control Spores, centered on a mushroom or other fungus within her lair, instead of on herself.
The region containing Zuggtmoy’s lair is warped by her magic, creating one or more of the following effects:
- Molds and fungi grow on surfaces within 6 miles of the lair, even where they would normally find no purchase.
- Plant life within 1 mile of the lair becomes infested with parasitic fungi, slowly mutating as it is overwhelmed.
- lf a humanoid spends at least 1 hour within 1 mile of the lair, that creature must succeed on a Spirit -2 or descend into a madness determined by the Madness of Zuggtmoy table. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw can’t be affected by this regional effect again for 24 hours.
lf Zuggtmoy dies, these effects fade over the course of 1d10 days.
Madness of Zuggtmoy
If a creature goes mad in Zuggtmoy’s lair or within line of sight of the demon lord, roll on the Madness of Zuggtmoy table to determine the nature of the madness, which is a character flaw that lasts until cured.
|d20||Flaw (lasts until cured)|
|1-4||“I see visions in the world around me that others do not.”|
|5-8||“I periodically slip into a catatonic state, staring off into the distance for long stretches at a time.”|
|9-12||"I see an altered version of reality, with my mind convincing itself that things are true even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.’’|
|13-16||“My mind is slipping away, and my intelligence seems to wax and wane.”|
|17-20||“I am constantly scratching at unseen fungal infections.”|